In order to provide equal access to services and collections to all users, the Library endeavors to assist users with special needs to locate information, retrieve materials, access services and use library facilities. Prior registration for these services is required. For enquiries, contact Ms Venia Mak, Head of Access Services.
- Library staff can retrieve materials for you if you need help.
- You can give us a list of required materials in advance, and we can collect them for you to pick up, or to deliver to you on campus.
- The library catalog includes an online renewal function if you need to keep materials longer. If needed, Library staff can renew materials for you by telephone.
- Library staff can do copying, printing, or scanning for you if you need help.
- You can give us a list of required materials in advance, and we can email them to you or have them ready for you to pick up, or to deliver to you on campus, as appropriate.
- Printing/Copying fees will be charged as for self-service use.
- Please note that all services will be provided in line with Hong Kong’s Copyright Ordinance.
Providing Accessible Formats
- Library staff can obtain accessible versions of course-related materials for registered users, upon request.
- This service can take up to 4-6 weeks.
- You can provide us with a course list, and state clearly what format is preferred (e.g. braille, e-version of print, subtitled video, etc.).
- If you need an accessible version of your textbook, you must first provide the Library with a copy of the non-accessible version.
- Adjustable-height workstations with adaptive equipment and software for users with visual impairment are located on LG1, near the Media Resources.
- All areas and rooms in the Library are wheelchair-accessible.
- Entry and exit control are handled with gates, rather than turnstiles. Wheelchair users may enter and leave without staff assistance.
- All lifts are accessible. Lifts B and C have braille markers. Lift C is a designated Accessible Lift, with audible multilingual messaging and arrival/departure tones.
- All floors have wheelchair-accessible toilets or toilet stalls, with railings, grab bars, sink, and mirror.
- Two computer stations on G/F are prioritised for wheelchair access.
- Media Resources viewing carrels and Media & Discussions Rooms are wheelchair accessible.
- The Library Garden and the LG3 back terrace have furniture to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Library notices are sent by email. This enables the use of screen-reader software.
- The library web site is designed to comply with the Web Accessibility Initiative’s Phase 1 guidelines. Contact Library Systems if you encounter difficulties.
Continual Evaluation and Improvement
The Library continues to evaluate and improve services and facilities to meet individual and community accessibility needs. Send any suggestions or feedback to Ms Venia Mak, Head of Access Services.
last modified 05 January 2021