World University Rankings : How to be Number One
Higher education became a global industry at the beginning of the 21st century. It was not surprising that students, faculty, universities and government policy agencies became interested in global league tables. This seminar will help attendees gain a better understanding of the rankings, their metrics, their limitations and their implications. At the end of the seminar you will be able to analyze the rankings and determine which metrics are most meaningful for you. We will cover:
SciVal – research evaluation for academia
The Library is hosting a seminar on Elsevier’s SciVal. This software offers quick and easy access to the research performance of 8,500 research institutions across the globe. Two modules: Overview and Benchmarking are available at HKUST.
- The Overview module enables us to visualize comprehensive research performance summaries of any desired research entities, identify their unique research strengths and multidisciplinary research areas, for a three- or five-year period.
- The Benchmarking module allows us to compare the performance of our institution, specific departments, research groups or selection of researchers to peers, from 1996 to the present. Identify our relative strengths and weaknesses to optimize our strategy.
Emerald is a major global publisher (~300 journals & 2,350+ books and book series). This workshop will give an ‘insider’s’ guide to academic publishing, with some practical tips, best practices and sharing of experiences of peer review publishing. Its content will include:
• An introduction to the history of Emerald
• Publishing process and peer review
• Choosing a publication
• Structuring your paper
• Publication ethics
• Dissemination and promotion
• Tips on writing a successful article (By Prof. Yan XU)
Welcome new UGs!