The Library is inviting applications for the following position:
Research Assistant (Part-time)
The Library is looking for postgraduates of different disciplines to work as part-time research assistants in the Research Data Services (RDS) Project starting August 2019.
The research assistants will draw upon their academic experience to work with librarians in the RDS Project, which aims to build capacity for sound data management practice throughout HKUST, and to advance the Library’s research data services.
Specific responsibilities include:
Data Practices Study
- Assist the Library to conduct study on research data practices at HKUST and research trends, analyse data and compile reports
- Explore tools for research data analysis, data mining and visualization in interested disciplines
Promotion and instruction
- Promote awareness of data management to HKUST research community
- Provide advice and instruction on discipline-specific data management
- Conduct or assist to conduct workshops to peer researchers on research data analysis skills and tools
Benefits to Participating Students
Research assistants will gain significant experience in data analysis, teaching skills, project skills and report writing. They will acquire knowledge about emerging areas in research communications, and of best practices in research data curation, metadata standards and digital preservation. This is an interesting opportunity; the experience should be useful for their research careers.
Requirements and Terms
Interested candidate should be a current postgraduate student at HKUST, and have
- Knowledge and experience in using research software for qualitative and quantitative data analysis, for example, geospatial analysis, data-mining, data visualization, is desirable
- Experience in conducting research would be an advantage
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A positive mindset for learning
- Working hours: about 10 per week
- Hourly wage: $80-$100
- 6 months contract; can be open for adjustment to comply with the candidate’s commitment within the guidelines of PGSO for postgraduates.
Please send your CV to Ms. Gabrielle Wong by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating “Application for Research Assistant (Part-time)” before Wednesday, July 31, 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be notified to attend an interview.Go Back to page Top
last modified 12 July 2019