What is Information Literacy
“Information literacy is the set of integrated abilities encompassing the reflective discovery of information, the understanding of how information is produced and valued, and the use of information in creating new knowledge and participating ethically in communities of learning.” (ACRL)
The increasing complexity of information formats, dissemination channels and collaborative ways of creating information and knowledge means that information literacy is a desirable graduate attribute.
HKUST Information Literacy Learning Outcomes (ILLOs)
Starting in 2008, the Library set intended Information Literacy Learning Outcomes (ILLOs) HKUST UG graduates of the 4-year, which the University agrees are important for success while at university, and in their later careers and lives as well-informed, crtically thinking citizens.
The ILLOs are based on the HKUST graduate attributes (ABC LIVE) alog with ACRL’s Information Literacy Standards for Science and Engineering/Technology, encompassing graduates’ abilities to do research: to question, search, locate, evaluate, and use information effectively.
- Define & articulate their information needs.
- Identify potential information sources.
- Select the most appropriate tools to retrieve relevant information.
- Understand the characteristics of different tools and construct effective search strategies.
- Understand how information is produced, organized and disseminated.
- Examine and compare information and sources to determine accuracy, authority, reliability, timeliness, validity, viewpoint or bias, and suitability for their information needs.
- Understand issues related to censorship, copyright, intellectual property, plagiarism, privacy and security so as to obtain, store, use and disseminate information responsibly.
- Become self reliant (comfortable and confident) in information literacy skills in different research environments.
- Apply information literacy skills for life-long learning in personal and professional development.
Others subject specific information literacy competency standards:
- Information Literacy Standards for Anthropology and Sociology Students
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Journalism Students and Professionals
last modified 13 September 2017