The Library collects all HKUST theses and dissertations in both print and electronic format. You are required to submit a PDF copy of the approved version of your theses. The electronic version must be an exact copy of the print version. The PDF copy will be loaded into the HKUST Electronic Theses database and the HKUST Institutional Repository. Doctoral dissertation will also be submitted for indexing and publishing to the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database.
Be sure to follow the HKUST Guidelines on Thesis Preparation.
- Fill out the Electronic Thesis Submission Form. You will receive a confirmation via email.
- For protection of intellectual property, you are required to sign the Electronic Thesis Agreement Form. All PhD students also need to complete the ProQuest Agreement Form for publication of their PhD theses in the ProQuest database.
- Submit to your department:
- a printout of the submission confirmation
- the signed Electronic Thesis Agreement Form
- two printed copies of your approved thesis (that are identical to the PDF version)
- PhD students also submit the ProQuest Agreement Form
The two pages with your signature and your thesis advisor’s signature are NOT required for electronic submission. They will be inserted into the PDF by library staff in a later stage.
In most cases, a thesis is submitted as a single PDF document. Files submitted in other formats will be rejected and will delay the approval process.
If you have additional files accompanying the PDF file, you may submit them as well. For question about file formats, contact a reference librarian.
HKUST Library provide utilities for file conversion and PDF creation at the Information Commons (G/F) and the Learning Commons (LG1).
You may use computers at the IC/LC to create PDF files from most applications. DO NOT make a PDF file by scanning the paper copy of your thesis; the resulting file will be very big and difficult to index.
If you have any questions on creating a PDF files, take a look to PDF creation guide or ask at the Information Commons Help Desk for assistance.
Go Back to page Top
last modified 17 May 2017