To facilitate preservation and long-term access to archived data collections, you must create data documentation and associated metadata.
- Facilitate interoperability of data collections.
- Standardize ways to organize data, provide background information and show methods of use.
- Help data citation, discovery and reuse.
Different disciplines have different metadata standards, Reseachers can choose the standards that meet their needs. Digital Curation Centre from UK has maintained lists of metadata standards, profiles and extensions, cases and tools covering these areas:
Research Data Management Guidelines
Organizations and institutions have provided valuable guidelines for research data management, e.g.:
- Data Management Guide from University of Cambridge, UK
- How-to Guides from the Digital Curation Centre, UK
- The Realities of Research Data Management from OCLC
Research Data Management Best Practices
- Australian National Data Service – Data Management Guides
- DataOne – Data Management Guide for Public Participation in Scientific Research (PDF)
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) – Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving (PDF)
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory – Data Management for Data providers (PDF)
- UK Data Archive – Create & Manage Data (PDF)
- University of Hong Kong, The – Research Data and Records Management Policies
Online Training Materials
- Data Management Online Course – a short online course for PG engineering students by University of Minnesota
- Data Tree – a free online course for research data management
- Education Modules – from a 2 day short course on data management from DataOne
- Expert tour guide on Data Management – by CESSDA ERIC (the Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives European Infrastructure Consortium) aims to let social scientists make their research data findable, understandable, sustainably accessible and reusable
- MANTRA – a free online course designed by University of Edinburgh
- U.S. Geological Survey Data Management Training modules – provide background and best practices
last modified 07 June 2018