Building a Culture of Data Citation. (n.d.) ANDS Guides and Other Resources. Retrieved March 14, 2014. From http://ands.org.au/guides/data_citation_poster.pdf
Citing data brings the same benefits as citing articles and books. It…
- Helps data creators and users find, access, verify and reuse data.
- Allows data impact to be tracked and it gives proper recognition to data producers.
The conventions for citing data are not as established as citing papers. However, some journals, data repositories and organizations have more specific guidance on data citation.
How To Cite
DataCite, an international consortium which aims to improve data citation, suggests the basic format of data citation should include:
Creator (PublicationYear): Title. Publisher. Identifier
DataCite also suggests two optional properties, Version and ResourceType be included as appropriate:
Creator (PublicationYear): Title. Version. Publisher. ResourceType. Identifier
DataCite recommends DOI name as the linkable, permanent URLs.
Examples given by DataCite:
- Irino, T; Tada, R (2009): Chemical and mineral compositions of sediments from ODP Site 127-797. Geological Institute, University of Tokyo. http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.726855
- Geofon operator (2009): GEFON event gfz2009kciu (NW Balkan Region). GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam (GFZ). http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/GFZ.GEOFON.gfz2009kciu
- Denhard, Michael (2009): dphase_mpeps: MicroPEPS LAF-Ensemble run by DWD for the MAP D-PHASE project. World Data Center for Climate. http://dx.doi.org/10.1594/WDCC/dphase_mpeps
For datasets published in DataSpace@HKUST, the system provide citation in this format:
Creator, PublicationYear, “Title”, Identifier, Publisher, Version, [Universal Numerical Fingerprint]
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Library, 2015, “Wi-Fi Connection in HKUST Library”,http://dx.doi.org/10.14711/dataset/RQXRQB, DataSpace@HKUST, V1 [UNF:6:vtIJGn8nA+fEACtFfsPHbA==]
Users can also download citation to EndNote XML or RIS Format.
Guides To Data Citation
The examples above are only some suggested citation styles. Learn more about data citation here:
- Australian National Data Service – Data Citation Awareness
- DataONE – Tutorial on Data Citation
- Dataverse Project – Data Citation
- Digital Curation Centre – How to Cite Datasets and Link to Publications
- MSU Libraries – How to Cite Data Style Manual Examples
last modified 02 February 2018