XML and INNOPAC
- Innovative created a Document Type Definition
for XML views of INNOPAC records. This specifies what information
the system will provide when asked for XML format, and using
- Example: INNOPAC DTD (available online at http://ustlib.ust.hk/iiirecord.dtd).
- The WebPAC will provide individual bibliographic (and other)
records in XML format when presented with the "xrecord"
- This was the critical element needed before we could proceed
with our XML projects, as we consider the INNOPAC to be the core
element of our 'data warehouse'.
- INNOPAC XML records are not correctly formatted, containing a line feed
as the first byte of the response. This is invalid, and causes many browsers
to give errors when trying to use the xrecord command
(example error message)
MSIE v6 overcame this limitation, but the code is still wrong. We
worked around this by chopping off the first byte of every record so it
could be successfully parsed.
- XML output is not available from review lists - the only
way to get XML records out of the INNOPAC is by using the xrecord
syntax in a URL request.
- XML output does not encode CJK data in UTF-8, instead outputting
characters in INNOPAC's brace code.
- example of xrecord
output with Chinese in brace codes]
- This required us to write a separate program to convert the
brace codes to UTF-8.
last revised 6 December 2001