LIBRARY Readers ALERT: A Semi-monthly Service for Students
no. 162 (23 November 2011)
1. “Are these the seven wonders of nature?”
National Geographic (Retrieved 16 November 2011)
The provisional new seven wonders of nature have emerged after rounds of scrutiny by a panel of judges and a global public vote that ended on 11 November. Hosted by the New7Wonders Foundation, the provisional wonders of nature include Iguazu Falls, Halong Bay, Table Mountain, Amazon Rain Forest, Komodo National Park, Jeju Island, and Puerto Princesa. An official list of winners will be announced in early 2012.
National Geographic is available electronically at
2. “Japan’s K computer tops 10 Petaflop/s to stay atop TOP500 list,”
Top500 Supercomputer Sites (Retrieved 18 November 2011)
According to the latest ranking of the TOP 500 Project, the K Computer, jointly developed by RIKEN and Fujitsu, continues to be the fastest supercomputer in the world. It is the first and the only supercomputer to achieve 10 quadrillion (Quadrillion = 1015) calculations per second.
- Supercomputer “K computer” takes first place in world (June 20, 2011)
- Supercomputer “K computer” takes consecutive no. 1 in world ranking (November 11, 2011)
- About Top500 project
Published by IFRC, this year’s World Disasters Report focuses on the growing crisis of hunger and malnutrition. Smallholder farmers who produce half the world’s food are among the almost 1 billion people who go to bed hungry every night. The report analyses the challenges, complexities and causes of hunger and malnutrition. It also advocates possible solutions to these worsening humanitarian issues.
THIS WEEK IN HISTORY
John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States, was assassinated by a gunman on Friday, November 22, 1963, in Dallas, Texas. The President was fatally shot in his head, and he passed away at the age of forty-six.
Related Library items:
- The assassination of John F. Kennedy : an annotated film, TV, and videography, 1963-1992 / compiled by Anthony Frewin (E842.9 .F73 1993)
- The Kennedy assassination / Peter Knight (E-Book)
- JFK / Director’s cut. Warner Bros (Media Resources PN1997.A12 J494 1991a)
We welcome your feedback on this service.